Springy as that looks, I actually took that shot last Monday.
This post is going up — and being written — rather late today because I accidentally slept till 9 PM. Yeah. I’m not sure how that happened, but I blame my sister (for being unpredictable and generally making it impossible to plan things) and my cat (for taking a long-ass nap on top of me).
How I did on last week’s goals:
- Get modeling. Half check. I shot two outfits for my 30×30 remix challenge — Ready to Fall and The Roaring Blues — and I made a video — Shoes That Have Come Into My Possession This Summer — but I utterly failed to shoot anything I needed to shoot product photography-wise. At least one of those outfits was a step in the right direction.
- Get organized. 90% failure. I did get started on the blog planner but I didn’t touch any of my shelves or my closet and I’ve done no bookkeeping whatsoever. Frankly, I’m kind of proud of myself for paying my Etsy bill on Saturday, and it’s not like I’ve ever had trouble paying bills on time. I feel like I’ll have a much easier time of this when my sister starts school and I can do all the writing I need to do before I turn my laptop on in the morning.
And speaking of school — it strikes me that “when my sister starts school” could become the new “when I get my new laptop,” and that horrifies me a little. This blog was one of the things that had to wait until I got my new laptop, so most of you guys weren’t there for my absolute slump of a summer, but let me tell you, it was not pretty. There were some crossed wires with Indiegogo that resulted in me waiting over a month for my campaign funds, and it wrecked complete havoc on both my anxiety and my to-do list. After a couple of weeks, I decided the only way I would survive the wait was to put everything off and not pressure myself to do anything despite the fact that I couldn’t focus on anything because all I could think about was my funds and my laptop and what if I didn’t get my money and what if I couldn’t get a MacBook and basically, paranoia galore.
So I had — and have — a fair number of people waiting on rewards and things I have to do and make and shoot for them, even now, and a part of me hates to be all, “Well, I’ve had two meltdowns trying to get my sister to give me enough alone time to do work, it’s better for my mental health if I just postpone being functional and working until she starts school on September 19,” but the rest of me feels it’s the responsible thing to do, for myself, again. This time, the plus side is that I have a set date and that date is not going to move — I’m fully certain school’s starting back up and I’m fully certain it’s starting up on that date for my sister.
So I hope that explains this week’s goals.
- Stay calm and don’t try to force work or a schedule. It’s only a week and a couple of days till September 19, and then I’ll have all my mornings to myself. I’ll be able to get up early and schedule things, film videos, write, do everything that I do best in the morning without my sister getting in the way. It’s only a week and a couple of days. I can be relatively lazy for one more week and a couple of days. Hopefully no one will shoot me.
- Post about it. I’ve been meaning to talk about how I prioritize my mental health above all else and I think it would be good for me to blog about it. If I can finally make that video talking about my Indiegogo experience (or write about it), all the better.
- Model things. If I feel pretty enough. Again with the not pressuring myself. But I have some things I’ve already shot and I just need a couple of photos of me wearing them to send out the sets, and it’s silly that I didn’t get to it this past week. It’s fun and it doesn’t take long and, unlike outfits, I don’t have to drag my mom any further than my patio to shoot. For the 30×30 challenge, shoot an outfit or two and post the list of pieces I picked to remix.
- Heed the to-do list. Give all my notebooks fifteen minutes every day, offline. Update them, write down things, and pay attention to the little things on my to-do list that I can do without hours of peace.
- List 10-12 new things on Etsy. I opened my graphic design shop and that means I have a bunch of free listings both on that and on Lix Hewett Photography, so this would be a good time to start listing things regularly again. Plus, the graphic design shop is actually empty right now. Need to get some proper custom-thing listings up on there.
There. Not much, but something so I don’t feel like I’m completely waiting the week away. I’m going to start on #4 by packing up a print right now.
Got weekly wishes? Link up on Melyssa’s blog!