Very short wrap-up of my blog posts this week; I only posted twice:
WHAT I DID LAST WEEK
- Survived six consecutive days of my sister staying home sick. This is impressive and deserves to be first on this list.
- Practically caught up on Elementary. I only have last Thursday’s episode left to watch!
- Designed a logo for a client who ended up not going with it but graciously gave me extra time to come up with another concept — and now I really know what to make for her. And I have a logo I can list as premade on my shop.
- Took two hours to make cards and get a parcel ready. This is the only thing that qualifies as fulfilling last week’s goal of managing and blocking my time.
- Designed a flyer.
- Spent the majority of Sunday looking for jobs in both the UK and my country. Came close to losing it but made it to the other side alive… and applied to a couple more things this morning.
- Designed and added a gift certificate listing to my design shop.
Now all I need is for someone to grab one.
- Modeled and photographed several items for Steph of One Stitch Designs, and roped my sister into playing model for a pair of crochet slippers from Isabelle Knits. I’m not done with either project, but I got usable shots and that’s good progress.
- Designed half of my Spoonflower order. Now I need to finish that up and click the order button.
- I’m going to congratulate myself on my continued survival again. It was really hard.
First of all, this week’s participant art theme is “new beginnings,” and I want to explain why I chose the picture I chose. At first I thought I might go with a picture of Oxford as a kitten, but I haven’t got round to transferring those photos from the CDs they’re on to my laptop, and since I’m on a MacBook Air and don’t have an external optical drive, I need to borrow my old MacBook, the one my sister inherited. I’m very lazy about that.
So then I thought about how I started a business this year, and went around looking for pictures of the first prints I had made, the first phone case I ordered, the first batch of mini cards… and I ended up settling on one of my very first product shots. The lovely cowl was made by Arty from Isabelle Knits, and I did another shoot for her last weekend, so it felt particularly appropriate to go with that picture.
Secondly, I’m changing up the format of this again! But just a little bit.
- A goal: Sew.
- A wish: You know that holiday rush people talk about? I want it. I want to have my hands full. There is nothing more motivating than those brief moments it feels like your business may just be taking off. There’s validation and then there’s validation accompanied by money, and you get one guess as to which I like best.
- A reminder: The lorazepam script (thanks for reminding me it might have relevant info, Marcia) says to take 1-3 pills a day as needed, so I don’t think there will be any issues if I take the half pill I take sometimes a bit more frequently than I’ve been doing, i.e. once a week. I’m not going to start popping them like breath mints or anything but it’s okay if find I need to take it three times in one week.
- An expectation: My 2014 planner from Toodles Noodles should be arriving sometime soon! I’m super excited to get it.
- A low-stress work in progress: My self-hosted shop and portfolio.
- An allowance: If I keep telling myself I’m allowed to take a break, maybe my brain will agree to disengage.
- A safe space: My personal twitter feed.
That’s what’s on my mind this week. Are you setting any goals for the week? Link up with Melyssa!