1. Intro: I was reading Steph‘s guest post about blog organization on Sarah’s blog this week and it occurred to me that posting more about my life and keeping a semblance of professionalism/organization on this blog weren’t actually mutually exclusive. Then it occurred to me that I could easily do another weekly post like Weekly Wishes — something that’s simultaneously easy to write and based largely on what I’m doing and what’s happening in my life — and that I could also do it as a bullet point list!
Once again the line between “proper blogging” and “what I used to do on LiveJournal” is a very blurry one. And that’s bullet point #1.
2. Thought: You also have Steph to thank for the fact that I’m now seriously considering doing a 101 things in 1001 days challenge. This is partly because I want to keep myself accountable re: the London move (I feel like there should be scare quotes in there somewhere, or capital letters, or both. Maybe an underline. A blinking marquee. Okay, I’ll stop) without committing it to a date, since I can’t exactly do that right now, and partly because I want to write down somewhere that I also want to get my mom and sister out and back on their feet and away from my father. We’ll see.
3. Thing I Did: I finished a scarf. A square cotton silk scarf, approx. 36″ x 42″, printed with my Adrift photograph. I hand-rolled the hems while listening to Pop Culture Happy Hour for the first time in ages. I’m going to need more podcasts if I’m going to be sewing like I want to be. Anyone got recs?
4. Thing I Did: Shot a black crochet shrug for Isabelle Knits…
5. Thing I Did: …and a memory locket by Emma Swailes…
…and a pair of umbrella earrings also by Emma.
6. Life: This is what my desk looked like after that:
7. Blog: There may be a series of posts entitled Lessons Learned From Sewing [Insert Thing Here] coming to this here blog soon. Brief and casual and anecdotal, nothing particularly helpful — but I’m also preparing a series of tips-and-tricks posts as well, which I may well use Patreon to fund. If you could support my writing of tutorials (photography- and design- related with the occasional coding trick thrown in) and were offered the chance to vote on (or even suggest!) the topics covered, would you consider pledging a bit of money per thing completed to a campaign like that?
8. Thought: I really just want to sew a lot and make more media kits. Why is that not doable? Oh yeah, because I need money. I’m also still behind on replying to people. It’s this weird damned if you do, damned if you don’t thing — when things are going well, I’m super motivated but also overwhelmed and behind. When I’m going through “slow times,” I have the chance to catch up, sure — but I’m too busy worrying about paying the bills. I prefer overwhelmed and motivated, not going to lie.
10. Outro: I finally made my vision board for 2014, the one I had to make for the CREATE.2014 course. It’s not awful for my first collage… I don’t think. I’ll show it off next week. Meanwhile, have an Oxford: