The lovely Jess of Bookworms in Dresses put me down to do the Very Inspiring Blogger tag, and I thought I’d take the chance to do, if not the structured tag proper (no rules, no nominations), at least a little post telling you seven things that happen to be on my mind right now. Facts are good, but you can tell a lot by what a person’s thinking, too! Though I’m sure most of these won’t be a surprise to anyone who’s known me longer than five seconds.
1. My landlady reduced my rent a little and agreed to let me pay some of it tomorrow and some of it on Friday, and I feel like the amount I can plausibly give her tomorrow right now is laughable. I’m honestly seriously worried. I don’t want to get kicked out. Why can’t she just let me paypal her bits of it along the five weeks I’m staying? It’s in my best interest to get it done as soon as possible so I can start saving for my next place, trust me. You’re not even going to be here! (She and her husband are going on vacation for I believe the whole five weeks up till someone else has booked my room and I have to leave.) Fuck.
2. I’m doing pretty well — other than that. Working on my backlog of design work, finding work, convincing myself that writing up my CV won’t kill me. I even wrote up all my expenses I had receipts for last night and threw out all the paper. It freaked me out a little, but it’s also interesting knowing that even though I’ve spent very little money by certain standards, I could still be spending less. So there’s a chance a food budget will pop up on the blog at some point, and you’ll get a very real look at how terrible my eating habits are. More filling bread and fewer breadsticks, is the main thing I’m thinking about right now. And once I’m on my own here, I can actually cook things like pasta and broccoli and possibly even rice, which are all cheap and very filling.
3. I’ve started modeling. I don’t know if you knew this but I made a profile on ModelMayhem last year to see if I could get some modeling work, maybe get someone to ship me over to England for a gig (you don’t know my life), and earlier this week or last weekend someone told me about PurplePort, so I decided to revamp both accounts, label myself a photographer, which is what I am, and add some shots from the swimwear shoot two weeks ago — which will hopefully be released officially this coming week.
Well, it turns out people only look for models on those sites, and models get paid. It’s completely backwards to me, because a model lends two hours of her time and a bit of skill, whereas a photographer (etc.) has to have all the equipment, organize the shoot usually, shoot the photos, edit them, and do whatever the hell with them. I get it when the shoot is meant to be published or sold in some way, but even it’s a little disheartening. So I modeled (for free) for a photog I met on twitter a while back on Wednesday, and it was super fun and relaxing; I had a shoot with me as a photog and someone else as a model on Thursday; and on Friday, I booked three shoots over the weekend. All dude photogs, too, which is probably why I didn’t enjoy them <em>quite</em> as much as I did the Wednesday one — but they were all very friendly and normal and didn’t creep me out. Plus, two of them had awesome portfolios. One paid me for modeling for a lighting test at a studio in Holborn (which is dead on Saturdays, y’all; the stores are dark and they still say they’re open, it’s like ghost corporate city in there), another paid me for modeling for a couple of hours this morning here in Hampstead, and another covered my travel expenses to go to a studio in Bermondsey and model for a portrait series he’s doing.
Since I’m going to end up with a whole bunch of hopefully gorgeous, interesting pictures (and some weird slow motion minimal movement video), I think I’m going to open second accounts on both MM and PP to use as my modeling portfolio. It’s nice that I can just meet someone for a few hours, get paid and not think about it again. Is that what people with normal jobs feel like?
4. I went to the library yesterday before the Holborn shoot and printed out my Starbucks application. Now I gotta fill it out.
5. Plans for tomorrow, if I wake up at a normal hour and manage to get out of bed: get up, shower, have some juice, have my half paroxetine (going off it), half lorazepam (money nerves) and whole ibuprofen (hip pain), call the bank about my online account, call the therapist I need to self-refer to, call to reschedule my NIN appointment, call the physiotherapist I was told to self-refer to, put my laptop and my cream cheese in my bag, get a bagel or two and a plastic knife at M&S, and camp out at Starbucks the rest of the whole damn day.
6. I activated Direct Checkout on my design shop.
7. I won a website in a competition I don’t remember entering, and I’m getting really excited about finally having a proper storefront.
(8. Please help me out with rent. I’m freaking.)
(9. The elderly lady my mom cares for gave her a tablet as a gift — ! — and now I can <em>skype with my cat</em>. Bless her. Bless the furball. Bless all the things, except rent.)
What’s on your mind today?